National News

Father wanted five-year-old to stay in hospital before tragic death

The father of a young Queensland boy who died hours after leaving hospital has said the family pushed for Hiyaan Kapil to receive more treatment before his death.

The five-year-old had been suffering stomach and leg pains when dad Uttam Kapil drove him to the Logan Hospital emergency department on Monday. He was discharged four hours later.

Kapil says his requests for the young boy to stay at the hospital were refused, with Hiyaan asking to return to the hospital two hours later.

READ MORE: Texas gunman was inside the school for more than an hour

Before the family could respond, Hiyaan became unconscious and died shortly after.

Discharge papers from the hospital shared with 9News reveal Hiyaan had presented with fevers, lethargy and vomiting and was diagnosed as suffering a viral illness.

Kapil says the family asked the hospital for an IV drip for his son but were ultimately turned away.

"We were not going to be heard on anything," Kapil said.

"Even he was saying from his mouth I have too much pain, I can't walk.

"And they still keep telling him it's just gastro."

Kapil said once they arrived at the hospital, the Logan emergency department was filled with patients.

"It took them an hour to go inside," he said.

"They had a tent outside – even that thing was full."

READ MORE: Locals raise concerns about Andrew O'Keefe rehab facility

The heartbroken father said Hiyaan's younger brother doesn't understand where his playmate has gone.

"He'll cry, like, for four hours," Kapil said.

"I have to take him in the car to drive around, I drive around for one and a half hours just to make sure he sleeps."

Hiyaan said the family has chosen to speak out in the hope the same situation doesn't happen to anyone else.

Queensland's premier today promised an investigation into what happened to the five-year-old and how his death might have been prevented.

"There will be a full investigation into the tragic death," Annastacia Palaszczuk said.

"These are clinical decisions that are made and I know doctors try to do the very best they can."

Kapil said the family found out about the investigation into their son's death from journalists, not Queensland Health.

"We haven't heard anything from the hospital, or from Queensland Health, or from anyone," he said.

"I don't know. Maybe he is nothing for them but for me, he was my boy."

Related posts

Sydney Harbour’s Me-Mel Island to be returned to Aboriginal ownership

Security guard denies directing slur at NRL player’s mum before brawl

WA COVID-19: Mandatory workplace vaccinations removed for some