News World

Prince Andrew to miss Platinum Jubilee celebrations with COVID-19

Prince Andrew has tested positive to COVID-19 and will miss Saturday's Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations, Buckingham Palace says.

"After undertaking a routine test the Duke of York has tested positive for COVID and with regret will no longer be attending tomorrow's service of Thanksgiving," a spokesperson said.

The Duke of York's attendance at the service, much like any of his recent public appearances linked to the royal family, was expected to be controversial.

READ MORE: Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations kick off across the UK

The Prince in March settled a lawsuit linked to his relationship with the late, convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

The suit had been filed by Virginia Giuffre, an American woman living in Australia who alleged she was forced to have sex with him when she was 17. Andrew denies the allegations.

The scandal forced the Duke of York to step back from public duties, and he fought the lawsuit "as a private citizen".

That distinction meant he was not considered part of the working royal family and so was not present on the balcony of Buckingham Palace with other royals to the Queen's Birthday Parade on Thursday.

The Queen's choice of her son as an escort into Westminster Abbey for a service of thanksgiving to her beloved late husband, Philip, was seen as a vote of confidence in the duke by the monarch.

Related posts

Man charged after AFL fans filmed brawling on Melbourne road

G-7 pledges put coal on notice, could boost climate aid

Why lettuce and other vegetables are so expensive or not on shelves